Popular Posts

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Pastoral Reflections

At the Well Community Church we have a Elder team that provides leadership and oversight for the church.  We are an “elder lead, staff run” church.  These five men, fulfilling the qualifications of I Timothy 3 and Titus 1, are godly men who care deeply about the church and their role in what God is doing here in our Valley. 

I usually try and connect with at least one of them per month, for lunch or a cup of coffee.  It’s a good time of conversation and update, sharing the latest from our lives, evaluating what is going on in my world, and doing a little soul upkeep.  I love our times together and appreciate their insight and encouragement. 

This past week I met with one of our elders, Russ Taylor.  Russ is an architect in town and man of great character with a commitment to Christ and his church.  During our time together he asked, “So you are one year in this pastor thing, how is it going?”  That’s a loaded question to be sure.  Never in my wildest dreams did I see myself being called into this kind of ministry.  For the longest time my world has consisted of athletics and education and I always saw myself as a coach of sports team while working with young people.  To step into the church and into this pastoral role has challenged me and called out of my comfort zones. 

I smiled.  “Its been quite a ride,” I answered.  “One day is never like the last.”  I went on to explain that the fullness of human experiences that I have encounter in the past year.  I have stood with a couple on stage as they have exchanged vows and declared their love and commitment to each other.  In the same vein I have also sat with couples on the verge of divorce who have suffered through years of conflict and pain.  I have rejoiced at the birth of a child but have also prayed to the God of the universe to heal a newborn who has been diagnosised with a kidney cyst.  I have watched people transformed and healed of disease and addiction before my very eyes and at the same time I have agonized over people giving in to temptation and sin and creating destruction in their lives as well as others.  I’ve talked guys out of killing themselves and have celebrated with baptism as men have walked into newness of life.  Like King Solomon of old, I recognize that there is an occasion for everything, a time for every activity under the sun (Ecclesiastes 3:1-8). 

Russ looked at me and said, “How do you do it?  How do you help people stay on the straight and narrow?  How do you keep yourself healthy and not become consumed with their issues and problems?  How do you allow yourself to minister to them and still continue to minister yourself?

“In all honesty, the only thing I know how to do is point them to Jesus, the author and perfector of our faith” (Hebrews 12:2). I’m not smart enough, or experienced enough, or prepared enough to be anybody’s Savior.  I need mercy and compassion and wisdom and discernment just like the rest of them.  So I try my best to help people see that Christ is the source of life and healing and restoration, that He is our Savior, Redeemer, and King.  That he is to be the one we turn in times of trial and tribulation (Matthew 11:29,30), and that he alone is capable of saving us (Matthew 1:21). 

Russ looked at me and said, “Sounds like a good plan.”  I replied, "It’s all I got.  But I think its a pretty good."  So no matter what stage of life we are in, not matter what condition our soul is, there is God who loves us and is ready to be the very thing that nothing in this world can offer.  Hope, joy, peace, and love everlasting.  Come to Jesus, fix your eyes on Him, and be saved (Acts 16:31).      

No comments:

Post a Comment